As a society we are often approached by engineers of various disciplines asking how they can become more sustainable or involved in sustainability work. The purpose of this document is to provide a guide on what actions can be taken to assist someone who is looking for a change in their career path.
Some actions which can be taken are listed below:
- Join SENG and other sustainability-focused professional associations and become an active member at the local chapter level.
- Join the local committee and attend local CPD and networking events.
- Search job placement websites such as seek and look at the types of positions available and which of those you are interested in.
- Complete a post graduate course such as:
- Master of Environment
- Diploma of Technology - Engineering and Environment
- Post Graduate Diploma of Environment
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Development
- Diploma of Sustainability
- Master of Sustainability Science
- Master of Engineering - Energy and Sustainable Systems
- Graduate Diploma of Sustainability
- Diploma of Sustainable Operations
- Graduate Diploma of Sustainable Design
- Work in your chosen field and when an opportunity arises branch out within that field into areas that relate to sustainability such as:
- Water Management
- Waste Management
- Energy Efficiency
- Environmental Management Systems
- Air Quality
- Noise Management
Click here for information on who employes Environmental Engineers and sustainablity practitioners.